MathType 7 for Desktop. MathType setup automatically installs and adds a new equation editor toolbar to Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, for Windows and Mac computers, and also for Pages, Keynote and Numbers on Mac computers. The most likely cause is a version compatibility issue. Make sure your Office software and our MathType software are fully updated. If necessary visit the MathType site to confirm that the version of MathType you have is supposed to be compatible with your version of Office. Use their support system if you need to pursue it further. I will note that it took MathType something like 6 years to upgrade from v. 7 so that MathType would work on Word 16 for Mac. I had to use Word 11 for years because of this. Also, every developer has known about the transition to 64 bit apps for many years, but Wiris appears to have been caught off guard, or at least they were unable to.
|The information on this page applies to:|
|MathType for Windows|
MathType for Mac
|All supported versions of Word for Windows and Mac|
- For various reasons, some users do not want the MathType Commands to automatically load when Word is launched, or they want to temporarily disable them while Word is running. Among other things, this allows them to increase the speed of Word's startup or gives them access to some of Microsoft Word's advanced features which are modified by the MathType Commands.
- MathType is not yet available for macOS 10.15 Catalina, yet if MathType was already installed when you upgraded to Catalina, the MathType macros will still load when you launch Word. This places an unusable MathType tab on the ribbon in Word. Removing the MathType macros will remove this tab.
The steps below provide users with two different resolutions to this problem. The first set of instructions will detail how to stop the MathType Commands for Word from loading at startup and provide you with an alternative way of loading the add-in when you need MathType's commands and toolbar in Microsoft Word. The second set of instructions will allow the MathType Commands to load when Word starts up, but the user will be able to deactivate the commands whenever necessary.
Moving the MathType add-in out of your Microsoft Word Startup folder:
- Locate your office startup folder. If the folder identified below doesn't exist, look in Program Files (x86):
- Word 2007 - C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12Startup
- Word 2010 - C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice14Startup
- Word 2013 - C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office 15rootoffice15STARTUP
- Word 2016 - C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficerootOffice16STARTUP
- MathType Commands 6.dot or MathType Commands 6 for Word 20XX.dotm or MathType Commands for Word.dotm
- If present, do NOT delete the file MathPage.wll as you will not be able to reactivate the commands as described below
At this point, when you launch Microsoft Word, the additional MathType commands and toolbar should no longer appear in Microsoft Word. You can now activate the add-in (as described below) when required.
Deactivating the MathType add-in when Word is running:
- From the Office Button or File tab, choose Word Options (2010 and later: Options).
- Along the left pane of the resulting window click Add-Ins.
- At the bottom of the window, next to 'Manage' use the drop-down menu to choose Word Add-ins and click Go.
- In the list of currently active templates, uncheck the box next to
MathType Commands 6 for Word.dotmor
MathType Commands for Word.dotm.
The steps below provide users with two different resolutions to this problem. The first set of instructions will detail how to stop the MathType Commands for Word from loading at startup. The second set of instructions applies only if you're not using Catalina. These will allow the MathType Commands to load when Word starts up, but the user will be able to deactivate the commands whenever necessary.
Mathtype Download Word
Moving the MathType add-in out of your Word Startup folder:
macOS 10.15 Catalina
The best way to determine the location of the MathType macros is to open Word. In the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-ins. The resulting dialog should look something like this:
As you see in the Full path section, this file is located at
/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/. Don't worry about the '
.localized' suffix. Yours will probably be located at
You can remove the MathType tab by simply deselecting the checkbox to the left of MathType Commands 2016.dotm, but that will remove it only temporarily. The tab will be there again next time you launch Word. To remove it permanently, you must remove the file from that location. You can do so by moving it to another location if you want, but when we have a Catalina-compatible version of MathType, it will add whatever files it needs to the proper locations so there's no need to save it unless you really want to.
Mathtype For Word 2016
You'll notice there's also a 'MathType.bundle' file in the folder. Deleting that file will neither help nor hurt. Simply deleting the 'MathType Commands' file is what will remove the MathType tab from the ribbon.
macOS 10.14 Mojave and earlier
You may either:
Add Mathtype To Word
- Remove the commands (MathType tab for Word 2016 and later, MathType menu and toolbar for Word 2011) by moving them out of their normal location, or
- Leave the macro file in-place but deactivate the commands whenever necessary.
The steps below will guide you through the process…
Moving the MathType add-in out of Word's Startup folder:
- For Word 2016 and later, follow the instructions above for macOS 10.15 Catalina. Note: If you have both Word 2016 (or later) and Word 2011 installed, following these steps to remove the commands from that more recent version of Word will not affect MathType's operation with Word 2011. You will still be able to use MathType normally with Word 2011.
- For Word 2011, either delete or move the file MathType Commands 2011.dotm from this location:
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word/.
Mathtype For Microsoft Word Mac Version 15.26 Download
If this is the method you choose, you may skip the next section.
Deactivating the MathType add-in when Word is running:
- From Tools/Templates and Add-ins, click to deselect the checkmark in the box to the left of 'MathType Commands 2016 (or 2011).dotm'.
- That's all you need to do. The MathType tab (Word 2016 and later) or the MathType menu and floating toolbar (Word 2011) will be deactivated for this session of Word only. They will be back in place when you restart Word.
We hope this has been helpful. As always, please let us know if you have questions about this, or if you have additional techniques that work. We'd love to hear from you.
Mathtype For Word 2016 Mac
Construct complex mathematical equations for your documents with this easy to use Windows tool.
One of the biggest problems I remember having way back in the day was writing papers for either my math or physics classes. Back when I was in college, Windows wasn't around. Windows didn't really become Windows until well after I graduated from college. I had access to word processors and such, but they were DOS based, and at the time, most people hand crafted complex mathematical expressions in their documents. It was just easier, and a lot more affordable than any programmatic alternative. This is why I like MathType. It constructs mathematical expressions on your Windows PC.
Download Mathtype For Microsoft Word
MathType allows you to enter mathematical equations as easily as you would write math with paper and pencil. The app makes use of Windows 7's built-in handwriting recognition, though you'll need a PC with a touch screen in order to use this feature. You can also use its point and click editing features. With Automatic Formatting, you can create equations quickly by choosing templates from MathType's palettes and plugging and chugging data into its empty slots. MathType applies mathematical spacing rules automatically as you type.
If you don't have a TabletPC or Windows PC with a touch screen, the app also supports customizable keyboard shortcuts. If you already know the TeX typesetting language, you can enter equations directly into MathType or Microsoft Word documents. TeX editing can also be mixed with point-and-click editing. You can even paste in equations from existing TeX documents. Existing expressions can be saved to the MathType toolbar for repeated use later.
App Pro’s: Supports TabletPC and touch features, supports TeX or LaTeX, Supports every version of Office from Office XP forward
Mathtype In Word
App Con’s: limited scope and use, pricey for such a scope-limited application
Conclusion: If you need to compose complex mathematical expressions for your Office documents, there's no better tool than MathType. The app is easy to use, supports Windows 7's TabletPC extensions and touch enabled hardware. With support for Office XP forward, it's going to work with the version of MS Office you already own. The only issue with the software is its limited scope and target audience.